acacia

acacia

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day Four: Flowers

It was a crazy week and now we are in the middle of another one. I definitely need to manage my time better. I try to cram too much stuff into the day and then always feel like I am behind (because I am). It is one thing to be a gardener, but another to try and run a business. I have spent quite a bit of time meeting new people and looking at new projects, so now I need to do them. Get to work!

As I have been running around, I am noticing how much has come out recently. Right now there is so much in bloom it is incredible! My neighbor has an old Wisteria which has wound itself around a fig tree. You can see the figs within the flowers:The Jasmine has also been in full force lately. It's scent is so strong that as you walk by, you have to stop and be overwhelmed for a moment. I saw this one the other day, with a big yellow butterfly fluttering around it:The butterfly is right in the center! It is so beautiful!

One of my yards has come alive with color recently. The cymbidiums have really opened up, I just have to be careful as I walk by not to break off the flowers. They are slow to open so every week is better than before.
She has some very nice Iris which have never done well in the past, but this year are blooming like mad.The nasturtiums have started blooming as well (you can see the red flowers in the background) I threw these seeds out last winter but they never did anything until now, which I find interesting. Why did they wait?

The Japanese maple is also starting to leaf out and bloom. You can see the tiny red flowers. I showed them to my client and she was so surprised. Most people don't know that a lot of flowers are tiny, nondescript. They only see the large, showy ones. I think flowers of any size are special! Its life!I was doing a little project last week involving re-doing a small pond. Normally I dont do ponds as they are very tricky. They leak and the pumps always break or get clogged. I like to leave the pond and fountain work to people who specialize in it. However, these are friends and clients so I said I would do it. And I had to get special help for this one! They were busy being supervisors. The yellow one is mine.

The pond is finished and full of water, which is good, but it is situated underneath some very large Pittosporum trees (about 40 feet tall). They are blooming right now with millions of small, very scented creamy flowers. And the flowers are all in the water (and everywhere else) making the water a funny color. The bees are happy though - they are a gentle buzz as you go up the stairs under the canopy.

Lastly, I went and checked on a project I did last year:It was all lawn and the large tree. I am very happy with it and the clients love it is well. The downside.....
a new puppy. The destroyer of all gardens!!! Cute but deadly!
Oh well, yards are supposed to be multipurpose. A place where people actually live. At least that is my philosophy.
Now I shall see what tomorrow brings.....

No comments:

Post a Comment