acacia

acacia

Monday, March 7, 2011

The vegetable update

Has anyone noticed how popular (aka trendy) growing your own produce has become? I have to admit that it is VERY AWESOME! I am trying to become an urban gardener aficionado but fear I have much to learn. My profession is one shared by millions of, well, amateurs. People who love gardening LOVE GARDENING. It is a huge industry, I just happen to do it for a living. However, there are many non-professionals who know oodles more about growing vegetables than I. So I learn, and try not to get my ego in the way of learning. And I think it is fun to be able to buy lots of plants and seeds without, one, having to actually fork over my money, and two, that I do not personally have to have space for all the fabulous plants as I have many yards in which to plant them!HaHaaa

I checked out my seed supply the other day:


and I made a list of what I need. I think I will try zucchini and summer squash from seeds. At the nursery I was told to wait for a bit because it is still chilly out (grrrr). At my house I will plant tomatoes from seed and see how that goes.
I went to the garden in Bel Aire and here is what it looks like after several months:


That is dinsoaur kale and celery. The kale is great, and it is perennial. At the nursery they have some plants that are four feet tall! And very tasty. Just pull the leaves off the main stalk and leave the rest. Unfortunately the celery is very bitter. I may have to remove it.
I thought this was red leaf lettuce but NO. It is the spiciest mustard greens I have ever tried. Very tasty but quite a shock. In the front is a bit of broccoli, slow growing but quite delicious, and lots of parsley. Not bad for winter. Her father actually planted blueberries which you can see by the blue/white tags. I thought they were dead but upon further inspection, they are just fine. Her yard is cold so they are a bit behind other plants I know.
But it is spring! For sure! The trees are budding out and the stone fruit trees are blooming (apricots, pears, nectarines, etc) Here is a sure harbinger of spring:

The wonderful fig. Look at those little fruits already growing. So wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment