acacia

acacia

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

'Ware Agave!

When I was a kid my family would go foxhunting. That is the traditional English fox hunt with the horses and hounds and red coats and all of that (but no fox). When you were riding along with the field (the rest of the group) the person in front would yell out "'Ware Hole!" when there was a hole in the trail. Then the next person would yell it out and so on down the line. Or 'ware wire or 'ware swamp to say Beware of the swamp that you are about to plunge into. The contraction saves time, as is its duty. Well, I have not been foxhunting in about 20 years yet I still have that phrase in my head and will oftentimes say it (quietly) to myself when chancing upon something dangerous. Like this little inconspicuous fellow:
Nestled within the Agapanthus is a baby Agave americana. Even small, the tips of the leaves are like hypodermic needles and will go right into your skin! Sooooo, 'ware AGAVE!!! OUCH since of course you only know something is there when you run into it. Unfortunately for me there was no one ahead of me to give me fair warning. I mean really, who plants Agaves and Agapanthus together?

No comments:

Post a Comment