acacia

acacia

Friday, August 27, 2010

My friend Keisha cracks me up! She works in Hollywood as I, on the other hand, just live here. She works in TV and is either incredibly busy and I wont see her for months on end, or she is unemployed. Which she is now. Four years ago, when I moved to this neighborhood, I met a lot of people because I have a dog. People who do not have dogs are always so surprised at the incredible social network you can create when you have one. You must walk them at least twice a day, mostly in the morning and in the evening. Since I did not know anyone when I moved to LA, having a dog was an instant way to meet people. Keisha is one of those people.
I did not know anything about the 'industry' (as in the entertainment industry) until I started talking with the people I met at the local dog park. I had no idea how many people were involved to get one show produced. Truth be told, I am sure that I still have no idea, but just a better one. Anyway, I have needed a bit of help lately and Keisha was willing to mow and water and clean up with me.
I saw one of my clients and she asked me if I had a new assistant and I said, well, not really, she is in TV. Barbara understood. If you live here long enough, you start to understand that people are employed and unemployed all the time. Even if you win awards, you are always having to look for that next job (movie, show, whatever). I have quite a few clients that are directors, producers, actors or writers. Its a bit fascinating, I must admit.
Back to Keisha. She was a real pleasure to have as my assistant. Her perspective is so different than mine - mostly because this is not her chosen profession. She was just happy to be out and about, something to do, a view or two to catch, and an interesting conversation to have with myself and my clients. And maybe a cat to scratch along the way.
But I have to tell you the best part. I was around the corner at Pam's house and from the patio above me I heard Keisha talking. I finally yelled up to her, are you talking to me? No no no, she wasn't. She was talking to the plants. To make then feel better, loved even. Then she played them some music, tropical music, to remind them of home. How awesome is that! It is very easy to take your job seriously. Just to do what you have to do and move on to the next commitment. It was so nice to be with someone who saw my work with a different perspective. Who was enjoying the day and the plants and giving back in a unique way. It was a moment to remind myself to remember to enjoy my work, and enjoy the day. Thanks Keisha.

No comments:

Post a Comment