acacia

acacia

Monday, August 9, 2010

what to do

Lately I have been thinking about the identity of my business. What is my style, my philosophy. What ideas do I want to promote and what ideas or traditions do I want to discourage and reeducate people on. This has led me to look at my ethical responsibility of being a gardener and, more importantly, a garden designer.
I have really begun to understand the negative impact we are having on our world and how we are, essentially, wrecking it. For a long time I did not want to pay attention to this issue as it is so frightening, but I can't be blind and deaf any longer.
Today I watched an episode from the documentary series 'Vanguard' about the Cardamom forest in Cambodia and how people are cutting down a particular tree, extracting its oil, and selling it to Holland for them to make the recreational drug ecstasy. Not only are they cutting out swaths of the forest, but the extraction process is contaminating the water. I wonder if the users of this drug have any idea the impact on the environment its production creates. I think that we are all aware of the social impact of illegal drugs, but rarely do we consider its environmental price tag. And yes, this is one small area of the world, but as you start to pay attention you will realize that all areas of the world are being recklessly plundered and contaminated.
It seems to me that the basis of our disregard for our earth is money, and with it, luxuries and power. Oil companies and drug companies (illegal or legal), food producers and manufacturers often base their decisions upon what will benefit them today rather than the overall effect. And with so many people in our world living in squalor and starvation, it is not surprising that they will do what they have to in order to live one more day. Or to make their lives that much better.
Interestingly, you dont have to go to Cambodia to see this, or to some third world country. I see people everyday, and I have done it myself, that are being environmentally irresponsible just to provide a roof and a meal for their families. I have done work (that is not on my website) which goes against many of my principles because I needed the money. I certainly don't feel that I can judge others for I am not immune.
So I am wondering about the ethical and philosophical identity of my business. How can I help counteract the devastating effects of so many. What is it that I need to do, both on a day to day scale, and on a much larger scale, to promote a healthy and loving relationship with our earth, our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment