acacia

acacia

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Mmmmmm, vegetables

We replanted a vegetable garden in bel aire yesterday. Beautiful property with a view of the Getty Museum and right next to a vineyard. From the vegetable garden you can look up the ridge and see rows and rows of grapevines, all starting to turn a brownish yellow for the fall. My helper and I carried up very heavy bags of amend and steer manure and one bag of worm poop. After cleaning out the summer stuff, and the weeds! (oops), we dumped all of the good compost over the beds and dug it in. Then we were able to plant, some starters and some seeds. Dinosaur Kale, which can get to be 4 feet tall, Lettuces, onions, leeks, broccoli and asparagus. I am going back tomorrow to plant lots of parsley and some cilantro and dill which should round everything out. I also planted spinach and celery. We shall see how this goes. I am afraid that this yard is quite cold and may get hit with some frosts over the winter.

Today I worked in a garden that is full of native plants. I really trimmed things back from the walkways and cut out the dead stuff. Native plants are getting ready to bloom right now so if I cut them back, I will lose all of the flowers. I planted a few penstemons here and they are huge and gorgeous! I cant wait to see everything in full bloom.

Ok, back to work. I have two designs and two bids to write up!

No comments:

Post a Comment