acacia

acacia

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Ugh

It was 95 degrees today and it was hot! And I was mad! I don't like it when it is that hot, especially when it is November. And of course I had to go to the valley which is always hotter than my side of the hill (Hollywood). Hopefully it will cool down as I have a lot of work to do. Now is the time of year to cut things back for the winter - yes, we do have winter. Things that bloom in the summer should be cut back now, whilst things that bloom in the spring should be cut in the summer. That gives the plant 6 months to grow before it blooms again. Grasses should be cut around now. Though, as I have mentioned before, I like to spread out the cutting of ornamentals so the home owner doesn't come home to a nude yard! We have winter but no frost so it still needs to look good all year round. It is a balance of science and aesthetics.
It is also the time for the cool-season vegetables. Spinach, kale, brussel sprouts, lettuce. There has to be more variety than just the greens. I will look it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment