acacia

acacia

Monday, February 7, 2011

The beautiful native so-cal landscape

We went for a hike yesterday along Mullholand drive. Starting at Fryman Canyon we walked East until it ends at Laurel Canyon. My hiking partner is elderly so we were taking it short and slow. It is a wonderful place and I was so surprised when I first moved to Los Angeles to find out that so much of it is wild and undeveloped. The Santa Monica Mts go right through LA, in fact, our city is the only one in the US which is bisected by a mountain range. Here are some of the plants which I encountered:
Black Walnut (Juglans nigra) just starting to leaf out and bloom
Ceonothus
California live Oak (Quercus agrifolia) also just starting to bloom
and the wonderful Oat Straw!



 The day was fairly clear:
Looking North over to Studio City and the San Gabriels
And my intrepid hiking partner (she is 11 1/2!)

No comments:

Post a Comment