acacia

acacia

Monday, February 21, 2011

I have no snappy title for this post

Today was a good day. Not all of my days are good, but today was. There is snow on the mountains and the air is crisp. It is also Cymbidium season! I love them:

I think that I use the L word for quite a few plants. Are there any that don't fascinate me?
Anyway, I was walking the d-o-g this morning and saw this critter growing in a most inappropriate place:
It is a Mexican Fan Palm growing in a crevice of a stone wall (in front of a dilapidated 'Senior Living Facility' that I hope none of us ever have to reside in). Needless to say that their groundskeeping is fairly nonexistent. However, if they do not remove this guy, they will be facing a MAJOR job, costing thousands (of dollars that is, nothing else) The fan palm can grow to 60' tall and the base can be 15' round. Very large. My theory is to get them when they are small and take minimal effort rather than wait until it becomes a major hassle. Not many people seem to hold that same theory though. Why wait until it is a huge nuisance? Seriously, why?!
I then went to a clients house up in the Laurel Canyon area and, besides being Cymbidium season, it is also PINE season. Check out these male cones from the Ponderosa Pine:
Thousands of male cones, and who knows how much pollen in the air. I also heard the distinctive sounds of Hawks nesting. They seem to really like these two Ponderosas on this property. Oftentimes I will see them flying back and forth, and last year I was able to see their offspring. It is a beautiful sight!
Now, at the end of the day, I must walk the d-o-g again as she is bugging me to do so. Tomorrow I get to go to the nursery! I will make sure to post some photos
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment